August 15, 2011

papyrus experiment



This is my crazy contraption for drying papyrus sheets:

Only a couple of weeks ago I discovered papyrus, and fell in love with it.

Here's a little trick:

Papyrus is amazing as it is, but if you dip it in oil for a day, and let it dry, it changes the texture, becomes a bit more transparent and rubbery. I was told that if I put a bit of oil paint into oil, papyrus will keep it's transparency, only get a light tone of the colour. That will be my next experiment :)












...and then I tested it...

I made all these photos with my Canon scanner, no Photoshop tweaking.







1 comment:

  1. I hope you do go on experimenting, this looks very interesting. I like the transparency of the papyrus and adding a shot of the results of painting with different media was a great idea! I'm learning how to make handmade books and I think I should give papyrus a try there too :)

    ReplyDelete